Maynard James Keenan Talks About Why New Tool Albums Take Time
Maynard James Keenan talks about why Tool‘s new albums take time. Tool band’s latest album took over more than a decade to release the album of “Fear Inoculum”. The album has already been discussed on the internet and in music forums so much.
About this, Maynard explains the desire to make creating the album “no… it has to be by committee. Even if it’s fucking death by committee. It has to be by the committee because you have to trust each other at the end of the day for it to be the full-encompassing piece with several sets of eyes.”
While members of Tool aren’t the only prominent metal stars whose creativity requires some time to record and release them. It’s true that they are one of the rare instances with notoriously long interludes between albums. This also became part of the mythology of the band which is why they were so popular that when Maynard & Co. finally continued their 2006 album “10,000 Days” by releasing 2019’s “Fear Inoculum” after 13 years. Now, also the Tool fans waiting for the upcoming album.
Maynard James Keenan’s thoughts about the take time between every new TOOL album (transcribed by metalshout.com):
“The guys in Tool, they just take longer to process information and get it together and present me something that I can start building on. I’ve made the mistake in the past of trying to build on something that wasn’t ready yet, and then all the work I put into the building on the thing, they change the foundation.
If I’m trying to decorate the house and then you move where the doors are or the windows or add a floor, I gotta start over, as an interior decorator. I have to wait for them to do it, so there’s time. I have time to do all these other things in between because I can and I should.
One could argue a little bit of discipline and a little prodding, a little cattle prod or a taser would help move these guys along a little faster, but that’s their process, you just have to kind of respect it.
It’s frustrating. I’m sure they’re frustrated with me because they hand it to me and I’m like, ‘It’s done.’ like, ‘You didn’t take any time with it?’ Yes, I took 50 years for this reaction to these things. I’ve been preparing for decades to hear these things and be able to react honestly, and I riff on them – on all the songs, on all the projects.”
About the style of albums: “It’s a partly conscious, but mostly unconscious, reaction to the rhythms.”
The creative part of Tool albums:
“No… it has to be by committee. Even if it’s fucking death by committee.
It has to be by the committee because you have to trust each other at the end of the day for it to be the full-encompassing piece with several sets of eyes (and ears on it).”
Puscifer 2022 concert dates:
Check out every detail of the upcoming Puscifer 2022 concert dates here.
- 10/13 San Francisco, CA The Warfield
- 10/15 Reno, NV Grand Theatre at the Grand Sierra Resort
- 10/16 Paso Robles, CA Vina Robles Amphitheatre
- 10/18 Escondido, CA California Center for Arts Escondido – Concert Hall
- 10/20 Tucson, AZ The Linda Ronstadt Music Hall (formerly Tucson Music Hall)
- 10/21 El Paso, TX Abraham Chavez Theatre
- 10/22 San Antonio, TX Tech Port Center & Arena
- 10/25 Houston, TX 713 Music Hall
- 10/26 Ft. Worth, TX Will Rogers Memorial Auditorium
- 10/28 New Orleans, LA Mahalia Jackson Theater
- 10/29 Baton Rouge, LA River Center Theatre
- 10/31 Nashville, TN Ryman Auditorium
- 11/1 Charlotte, NC Ovens Auditorium
- 11/3 Norfolk, VA Chrysler Hall
- 11/4 Washington, DC Warner Theatre
- 11/5 Atlantic City, NJ Sound Waves at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino
- 11/7 Montreal, QC MTelus
- 11/8 Toronto, ON Queen Elizabeth Theatre
- 11/10 Cincinnati, OH The Andrew J. Brady Music Center
- 11/11 Louisville, KY Louisville Palace
- 11/12 Indianapolis, IN Murat Theatre at Old National Centre
- 11/13 Madison, WI The Orpheum Theater
- 11/15 Grand Rapids, MI DeVos Performance Hall
- 11/17 St. Louis, MO The Factory
- 11/18 Kansas City, MO The Midland Theatre
- 11/19 Tulsa, OK Tulsa Theater
- 11/22 Prescott, AZ Yavapai College Performing Arts Center
You can watch the latest Maynard James Keenan interview below!